Monday, January 12, 2004

Well Glory Be! I have been away from a computer so long, I am way behind. When we got to my dad's, the first thing (almost) DH had to do was check his e-mail. The computer locked up, DH hit reset and the computer shut down for the remainder of our stay. My stepmother did not have a re-boot disk and will have to get it from her son. At the same time, for some unexplicable reason, my Palm Handheld decided to lose all of its information, so since arriving home a short time ago, I have tried to catch up on mail, synch my Palm up, etc. I have only gotten to spend a little time in "blogdom", so I have a lot to read!!

It was very sad to see how much my dad is going down. Our son was not able to make this trip with us, and Dad did not even ask about him, what he was doing, why he wasn't there, etc. He commented to me that he was glad we were eating supper with him - that we hadn't ever done that before. I have seen him confused, but never to this extent. And there is no help for this. My stepmother does a great job of caring for him, but I know she must be absolutely exhausted. I honestly do not see how she carries the load that she does. She has a nurses' aide in 3 times a week for a few hours and that is all. It is frustrating to be living almost 5 hours from them.

On a lighter note, my stepsister has bought a new bird, a sun conure. That is the funniest bird and very good natured. My stepsister will sing to her and she will bob her head to the music and make a noise like a metronome!

Today we stopped in and worked at one of our nursing facilities, and the director of nursing was showing around some pictures of her sheep. I was rubbing my hands together, thinking - oh boy - fiber! Then she told me she had no clue what type of sheep, that the fibers are very short and straight and they fall off in big clumps. I have heard of some sheep in Florida with the same characteristics, and apparently their fiber isn't spinnable. Rats!

I finished my friend's scarf, except for edging and fringe (did not have my crochet hooks with me) and also did her a hat and got one mitten finished and the second one started.