Friday, April 23, 2004

I have found a new use for leftover sock yarn. We are supposed to wear nametags to our knitting guild meetings or pay a fine. I admit that lately I have been paying the fine, simply because I could not think of something "cute" to make. Well, here is what I have come up with:



I found the personalized zipper pull at Walmart and knew I just had to do something with it. The picture doesn't do justice to the C-A-R-O-L-Y-N, but they are painted black, white and purple.

This yarn was what I made my first "sock yarn" socks from, so it is sort of special and sentimental. I got quite a bit of mileage out of this yarn, as I also made somebody's baby a pair of socks from the same stuff. And, this is a mini-treasure bag (which can also carry a pair of scissors, if needed, or even a flower, if I'm feeling jaunty).

Pattern for Treasure Bag Name Pin:

Materials needed:

Leftover fingering weight yarn
Size 2 DPNS
Metal zipper pull, bracelet or necklace with name desired
Jewelry pin

Cast on 72 stitches and divide evenly on 3 DPNS. Join without twisting, mark join and knit in the round for 3 rounds.

The next round, knit 3 together; repeat until marker. There will now be 24 stitches on needles (8 on each needle)

Knit even for 4 more rounds.

The next round, *knit 2, yo, knit 2 together*, repeat around to marker.

Knit even for 2 to 2 1/2 inches from eyelet row.

Begin Decreases:

*Knit 2, knit 2 together* repeat for entire round.

Next three rounds, knit even.

Next round, *Knit 1, Knit 2 together* repeat for entire round.

Next two rounds, knit even.

Next round, Knit 2 together for entire round.

Cut yarn and thread through stiches twice and pull tight. Leave a tail for attaching tassel, if desired.

Make a 2 stitch I-Cord, a crocheted chain, or simply double two strands of yarn and knot each end to make tie. Thread through eyelets and tie. Sew name plate to front of piece, and jewelry pin to back.

Enjoy!